How do I define success? Winning the World Series. After losing in the playoffs, we all rationalized that winning the ALC during a 162 game season is more impressive (even if the ALC is weak), but the reality is we didn't win the World Series and we had that chance. How close you come to winning the World Series is my marker for success in this post. It is the ultimate MLB goal and I believe this ONE goal trumps everything else.
So, were we really better in 2013 than 2011...results oriented answer NO
Here is a rundown of why 2014 > 2011 (when we lost in the ALCS)
- - Dirks < Delmon in the clutch (BUT, signing Choo/Grandy/Beltran would trump this)
- - Iglesias < Peralts (hitting wise, but makes up for it later)
- = no Prince Fielder either year so it's moot
- + 2014 Porcello > 2011 Porcello with Iglesias and Kinsler and a 3B with mobility
- + Sanchez > Fister (Sanchez was not here in 2011...Fister was)
- + Kinsler > Santiago/Rhymes/Guillen
- + Nathan > Valverde
- + Torri > Boesch
- + Castellanos > Betemit / Inge (At worst, Castellanos gets an = here but my cup is half full)
- + Smyly > Brad Penny (This is a big +++ in the future since Smyly is young with a ton of potential)
In conclusion, Fielder and Fister have been productive Tigers and did help us get to the WS in 2012, but they did not put us over the top and we fell back to ALCS runner ups again. We definitely had the talent to win in 2013, but not the drive and motivation. Hopefully, the new look Tigers will have a little extra spunk, speed, and will be the 2014 World Series champs.