The unofficial tagline of BYB fantasy baseball for 2013 is "Don't Be a Delmon." What exactly does this mean, you might ask? We all know "that guy" in every fantasy league that forgets about his team in the middle of May and just happens to play against the guy that you need to beat to make the playoffs during the last week of the season. One week and a 9-1 beatdown later, you're sitting at home while your rival is... well, also sitting at home, but at least he made the playoffs. Don't be the guy that leaves his team out to dry. Don't be a Delmon.
And yes, I realize the irony in this phrase given that Delmon Young was probably the Tigers' biggest offensive threat during the playoffs last year, but "Don't Be a Boesch" doesn't sound as nice and we would all look/sound pretty stupid if he actually starts to play well this year.
The purpose of this thread is twofold: (1) to express your interest in getting dominated by my team in the Official Bless You Boys Fantasy League, and (2) to propose any desired changes from the standard Yahoo format for our league. As far as I know, the rules of the league are completely my show (i.e. I don't have to follow what SB Nation tells me) and we can do an AL-only league with doubles as the only offensive statistical category... err, if I wanted to.
Overall, the structure of the league probably won't change very much, save for one or two minor tweaks. We have to use Yahoo! since they're partners with SB Nation; in fact, there's probably a big Yahoo! ad around this post right now that you have already clicked on twice by accident. Sorry.
We will take somewhere in the neighborhood of 14 to 16 teams, depending on the amount of interest. I'm planning on making this a head-to-head league unless there is an overwhelming majority that says otherwise. Priority will be given to regular comments (especially those who were most active during this past offseason) and previous participants. However, we're taking the European soccer approach to this shindig: if you got beat by Kurt last year, you might get relegated to the lower divisions.
There will be semi-regular posts with updates and/or trash talking about the league's results throughout the season. If other BYB leagues are formed, they may get some air time in these posts as well.
Some other reasons you should use Yahoo! for all your fantasy baseball needs this year, courtesy of our partners:
- Yahoo! Sports is the leading fantasy provider on the Internet, home to millions of fans playing the #1 fantasy baseball game available – all for free!
- Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Baseball ’13 is easy to use, with mock drafts, player comparison features, and numerous customization options. Plus - Yahoo! Sports offers superior stability, especially during drafts and games (Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Baseball doesn’t drop the ball).
- The #1 free game keeps getting better: now with same day drafts, custom playoff seeding, and game-time waivers.
- Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Baseball provides fans with top-notch information, resources, and expert advice. From player notes to injury updates to player availability across leagues, Yahoo! Sports helps you win big. This year never miss a last minute injury with updated player notes.
- Yahoo! Sports provides pre-draft advice clips to help you draft the best team possible. Fantasy advice is also available throughout the season with bi-weekly video clips and the Fantasy Freaks on Yahoo! Sports Radio on Friday’s 8–10pm EST
- Don’t miss a trade or waiver wire again! Daily roster changes are made easy with the Fantasy Baseball app available on Android, iPhone, and iPad (new this year!).
- Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball gives you real-time fantasy score updates wherever you go. View team, league, and player stats, edit your lineups, and check your standings and matchups.
- Yahoo! Sports offers the fantasy fanatic an even more competitive way to play with Pro Leagues! Join a Pro League for $20 or $100 and compete to win cash prizes. For those who dare to put some skin in the game.
Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball supports SBNation and fantasy league families everywhere. Get better experts, better tools, and better stats with the #1 free fantasy baseball game. This season also features a brand new iPad app, so sign up now. Get ready for opening day with better play on Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Baseball.