Tigers lead the series 1-0
|Sat 05/08|| WP: Justin Verlander (3 - 2) |
SV: Jose Valverde
LP: Kerry Wood (0 - 1)
|6 - 4 win|
#37 / Pitcher / Detroit Tigers
Jul 27, 1984
#51 / Pitcher / Cleveland Indians
Oct 17, 1983
Detroit looks for a short-series sweep in Cleveland this afternoon before heading home to face the Yankees. Max Scherzer hopes to get back on track now that he's no longer facing the Twins.
Mitch Talbot can be pretty much summed up as a contact hitter, with just 12 strikeouts and five walks in 34 innings. His xFIP is 4.89 and there's not really anything in his statistical past that makes you believe he'll keep the gaudy results up. Hopefully the downfall begins today.
- Zach Miner is "not quite ready" to start his rehab assignment. Wasn't this expected to be a temporary setback, like Bobby Seay? Isn't everything said about an injured Tiger by team sources woefully inaccurate? I'm to the point of ignoring whatever they say.
- The media notes state the Tigers -- winners of 10 consecutive games against the Indians heading into this game -- have their longest winning streak against Cleveland since at least 1920.
- Miguel Cabrera is 18-for-36 with runners in scoring position. Site note: Monday I'll have a chart showing the best and worst Tigers at getting the runners home.
- Cabrera has a seven-game hitting streak during which he's 13 for 25 (.520). Seven games is his longest streak of the season.
- The Tigers' bullpen has allowed 13 inherited runners to score of 43. If you leave a runner on base and you see Brad Thomas, watch out. He's allowed 71% to score. Ask for Ryan Perry, he's let in just one of 10.
- Maggs wished his wife a Happy Mother's Day on Tigers.com. I hope you've all wished the moms in your life one too!