|Final - 7.3.2010||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|WP: Justin Verlander (10 - 5)
LP: Jason Vargas (6 - 4)
Complete Coverage >
As this 6-1 Tigers win was as ho-hum as it comes, easily handling a Mariners team they should easily handle (and it being a holiday weekend), this majority of this recap will be done with bullet points!
- Justin Verlander was his usual inefficient, yet dominant, self. The Tigers' ace scattered 1 run, 7 hits and 10 K's (striking out the side in both the 1st and 3rd) over 7 innings and 114 pitches. It was Verlander's 10th win, the 5th straight season he has won double digit games.
- Ryan Perry's first appearance after being activated off the DL was uneventful, allowing 1 walk in an inning of work. That's exactly what the Tigers want from their default setup man, uneventful appearances.
- Jose Valverde was uncharateristically wild in the 9th, walking 2, but pitched out of trouble to earn...well, nothing. The Big Potato just got some work in, there was no save opportunity.
- Tigers pitching continued to hold the Mariners' Ichiro Suzuki in check. Ichiro, who could get 200 hits while blindfolded, both arms tied behind his back and his legs shackled, only had an infield single in 4 at bats, striking out twice.
- Brandon Inge led the offense with 3 RBI. Inge. Ryan Raburn, Carlos Guilen and of course, the hot as magma Brennan Boesch, all had 2 hits.
- The Mariners walked Miguel Cabrera twice, once intentionally (only to pitch to...the white hot Boesch?). To show the Mariners the error of their ways, Miggy scored both times.
- Here's the most important bullet point of all. The Tigers moved back into a tie for 1st place in the Central with the Twins, who lost to the
I expect to see Fanposts from those in our community who were in attendance at the BYB meet-up tonight. We want ALL the details! Pictures, too!
The Tigers take on the Mariners in the final game of the series at 1:05 pm Sunday, with an opportunity to take sole possession of 1st in the Central. So please enjoy your baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and
Chevrolets fireworks tomorrow! Have a safe and happy 4th of July holiday!