It's MLB playoffs time, and that means one thing! ...Well, unfortunately, this year it means no more Detroit Tigers baseball, and no more podcasts as your fearless hosts have been enjoying the postseason festivities.
Despite all the fun happening elsewhere, Rob and HookSlide were able to grind out one of their longest shows yet, with only some of it dedicated to how ridiculous Daniel Murphy has been this October (his home run may have stopped the show at one point, though).
While no baseball is being played, there has been plenty of note in Tigers land lately. Daniel Norris was diagnosed with thyroid cancer, while Jeff Jones announced his retirement from baseball, all within the span of a few hours on Monday afternoon. Rob and HookSlide also rehash some old news in discussing general manager Al Avila's plan for the offseason, take some listener questions, and finish off the show with a debate on takeout slides, one of the hotter topics of this year's postseason.
Topics in this week's episode include:
- The worst Saturday ever (for Rob, at least)
- Playoffs! They're fun! And not stressful!
- The best bat flips ever, and whether they're actually bat flips
- Tigers postseason awards, including an unlikely Cy Young candidate
- Daniel Norris is diagnosed with thyroid cancer
- The Tigers need a new pitching coach
- Al Avila: the man with the plan
- Who should the Tigers not sign?
- Listener questions!
- The future of Miguel Cabrera's hair
- Takeout slides, and when enough is enough
- 4:20 - Rounding the Bases: really good postseason, or best postseason ever?
- 29:57 - Warming in the Pen: Daniel Norris was diagnosed with what?
- 48:48 - High and Tight: Al Avila's got a plan!
- 1:08:09 - Into the Mob Scene at Home: insane sports radio callers
- 1:33:15 - The 7th Inning Kvetch: play the game hard, just not that hard
Click below to listen to the podcast. Click here to download the podcast as an .mp3 file.
Be sure to send us your thoughts, suggestions, and questions for next week's show. We're on Twitter at @blessyouboys, @BYBRob, and @HookSlideBYB, on Facebook at BYB.Tigers, and can also be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org!