It's Thanksgiving week, but before you sit down to stuff your face, old Uncle Mort has a few burning questions. Namely, what are the Detroit Tigers doing? He also wants to know why Brad Ausmus is still around, but you haven't had enough gravy to answer that question yet.
On this week's podcast, Rob and HookSlide break down the trades that brought Francisco Rodriguez and Cameron Maybin to Detroit, try to decipher general manager Al Avila's master plan, and decipher what big data baseball moves are coming to the Tigers organization. Rob also reveals his strategy for answering Tigers-related questions at Thanksgiving, and HookSlide explains why a Doug Fister reunion is a good thing.
The overarching theme of the week, of course, is analytics. The Tigers are using them more and more, but Avila's jigsaw puzzle is far from finished. There are a few pieces still missing, and some over-sized pieces that tend to break easily. Still, there is a lot of time left in the offseason -- we're not even at the Winter Meetings yet! -- and a bit of cash to spare. Stay patient, Tigers fans.
Topics in this week's episode include:
- The Tigers did something!
- What is a Javier Betancourt?
- K-Rod is not Joe Nathan
- Montreal Robertson: baseball pitcher or TV detective?
- BLOCKBUSTER TRADES (involving Liam Hendriks)
- Marcell Ozuna may be on the move (but not to Seattle, we recorded before that happened)
- Is this outfield finished?
- Listener questions!
- How to deal with old Uncle Mort at Thanksgiving
- Where the Tigers fit in big data baseball
- 2:29 - Rounding the Bases: Al Avila is the anti-Dombrowski
- 32:31 - Warming in the Pen: the Marlins are a merry-go-round of madness
- 46:39 - High and Tight: the Tigers aren't done upgrading the outfield, right? RIGHT?!
- 1:03:59 - Into the Mob Scene at Home: 5 topics to go with Thanksgiving dinner
- 1:27:47 - The 7th Inning Kvetch: bringing big data to Detroit
Click below to listen to the podcast.
Be sure to send us your thoughts, suggestions, and questions for next week's show. We're on Twitter at @blessyouboys, @BYBRob, and @HookSlideBYB, on Facebook at BYB.Tigers, and can also be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org!