Not two minutes into last week's episode of The Voice of the Turtle, Rob told our faithful listeners that the Detroit Tigers -- and other MLB teams, for that matter -- wouldn't be up to much over the Thanksgiving holiday. Like usual, both he and HookSlide were dead wrong.
Sure, things calmed down a bit after now-former Tigers catcher Alex Avila signed with the Chicago White Sox on Wednesday, but the weekend came to a loud and abrupt close when the Tigers inked Jordan Zimmermann to a five-year, $110 million contract. Not to be outdone, the Boston Red Sox signed David Price (another former Tiger!) to a seven-year, $217 million contract just hours before we recorded.
Oh, how good it is to be wrong.
There was plenty to talk about on this week's podcast, from the new contracts to how the Tigers are going to fill out their roster to the interesting comments owner Mike Ilitch made during Zimmermann's introductory press conference. We also take another round of listener questions, and even ponder what Thanksgiving was like this year in the Avila household.
Topics in this week's episode include:
- Nope, nothing happened last week. Not at all.
- Dan Dickerson likes Jordan Zimmermann, and you should too
- What do we make of the Tigers starting rotation?
- The Winter Meetings are coming! The Winter Meetings are coming!
- Does Al Alburquerque have a place in next year's bullpen?
- Alex Avila is now the enemy
- Johnny Cueto doesn't like the desert
- How many 'n's are on this thing?
- Listener questions!
- Mike Ilitch says YOLO to the luxury tax
- Who is really at fault for the Tigers' problems?
- 3:27 - Rounding the Bases: We got 99 problems, but the pitcher ain't one
- 22:22 - Warming in the Pen: is this the storm before the even bigger storm?
- 41:15 - High and Tight: you won't have Alex Avila to kick around any more
- 56:13 - Into the Mob Scene: just how saber-savvy is Al Avila?
- 1:23:24 - 7th Inning Kvetch: this team is owned by a mad-man ... maybe
Click below to listen to the podcast.
Be sure to send us your thoughts, suggestions, and questions for next week's show. We're on Twitter at @blessyouboys, @BYBRob, and @HookSlideBYB, on Facebook at BYB.Tigers, and can also be reached at email@example.com!