Baseball is officially back! Spring training is now in full swing, though we still have another week or so to wait until games begin. This is bad news for our poor beat writers, who are doing their best to churn out content, but good news for fans of The Voice of the Turtle.
That is, if you don't mind off-topic discussions about certain risqué Google searches involving division rivals.
In this week's show, your fearless co-hosts take a look at the early storylines of the spring, including Francisco Rodriguez's visa issues and Steven Moya's productive winter. They also sympathize with the beat writers (minus the weather), and break down the Detroit Tigers' latest signings. Listener questions take an odd turn this week, and the lightning round returns!
Finally, Rob and HookSlide speak with Steve Mikkelson, oddsmaker for Atlantis Casino in Reno, Nevada, about what goes into a team's preseason World Series odds.
Topics in this week's episode include:
- Spring training is here! Now what?
- The Tigers are in the best shape of their lives
- Victor Martinez can swing now
- Bobby Parnell might be a favorite to make the roster
- Do the Indians have enough offense to contend in 2016?
- Listener questions!
- Is Brad Ausmus a good manager? Or even a mediocre one?
- A reasonable breakout from Nick Castellanos
- Who is Josh Turley?
- Oddsmaker Steve Mikkelson takes on the sports betting world
- 2:18 - Rounding the Bases: what’s holding Shane Greene back?
- 20:27 - Warming in the Pen: bullpen insurance
- 30:16 - High and Tight: those pesky White Sox
- 44:18 - Into the Mob Scene at Home: has Brad Ausmus learned anything?
- 1:01:39 - The 7th Inning Kvetch: a casino oddsmaker talks about the Tigers
Click below to listen to the podcast.
Once again, a big thank you to Steve for taking the time to speak with us about a very interesting topic, one that many of our readers are interested (if not invested) in.
Be sure to send us your thoughts, suggestions, and questions for our next show. We're on Twitter at @blessyouboys, @BYBRob, and @HookSlideBYB, on Facebook at BYB.Tigers, and can also be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org!