Things get a little testy on this week's episode of The Voice of the Turtle! Okay, not really. But Rob and HookSlide celebrate their 25th episode the best way they know how: talking about the Detroit Tigers and laying into an old geezer who thinks stats are ruining baseball.
This week's target? Hall of Fame reliever Goose Gossage, who went after stat-heads and current players alike for ruining the game of yesteryear. You know, the one where players like Kirk Gibson fist-pumped their way around the bases after hitting a clutch playoff home run.
There's plenty of content prior to that discussion in this week's show, which comes in just under the two-hour mark. Victor Martinez has a hamstring injury, Anthony Gose is bunting his way to glory, and Steven Moya is hitting the cover off the ball! We also take our usual bag of listener questions, and even throw one back to you!
This week's question: if you could go back in time for one baseball moment, what would it be?
Topics in this week's episode include:
- Victor Martinez is hurt so we should cancel the season now
- Who is the Tigers' backup DH?
- Anthony Gose and bunting: what could go wrong?
- Bryan Holaday and Steven Moya are spring training stars
- The Detroit Tigers and the terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad seventh inning
- Dave Dombrowski and Al Avila are still bros, but how awkward was Al's Thanksgiving?
- Listener questions!
- Which former Tiger would help the current roster out the most?
- The best hats in Major League Baseball
- Just how wrong can one old pitcher be?
- 2:21 - Rounding the Bases: the one guy you didn’t want to get hurt just got hurt
- 21:07 - Warming in the Pen: the Tigers have been bad at the 7th inning
- 48:29 - High and Tight: Avila and Dombrowski are still on good terms, sort of
- 1:03:28 - Into the Mob Scene at Home: speaking hypothetically, nothing means anything
- 1:30:44 - The 7th Inning Kvetch: Goose Gossage is a [censored]
Click here to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes! Also, make sure to rate and review the show to boost our visibility (and beat those goons at The Podcastellanos).
Be sure to send us your thoughts, suggestions, and questions for our next show. We're on Twitter at @blessyouboys, @BYBRob, and @HookSlideBYB, on Facebook at BYB.Tigers, and can also be reached at email@example.com!