The MLB Winter Meetings technically got underway on Sunday afternoon, but the action did not heat up until Monday morning. General manager and executives from all 30 MLB teams have congregated in Las Vegas — I’m not sure if that idea was brilliant or terrible — and are busy discussing deals and negotiating with free agents. Some are even looking to improve their teams for the upcoming season.
Others, like our beloved Detroit Tigers, will probably just be sitting on the sidelines. There is the Rule 5 draft to look forward to, of course, but we don’t expect Al Avila and company to make much of a splash this week.
That doesn’t mean we aren’t interested in everything else happening around baseball. Use this thread to discuss the rumors and happenings around baseball this week — or anything else you want, really.
Actual signings and moves
- The Royals signed Billy Hamilton to a one-year, $5.25 million contract.
- The White Sox acquired righthander Ivan Nova from the Pittsburgh Pirates.
- The Mariners claimed infielder Kaleb Cowart, then claimed he could pitch.
- Lefty J.A. Happ wants a three-year deal, but hasn’t gotten an offer yet.
- The Braves are listening in on offers for Dansby Swanson, for reasons.
- The Reds are also in on the Corey Kluber sweepstakes.
- The Yankees are open to moving Miguel Andujar, presumably in that hypothetical Noah Syndergaard deal. Our friends at Fish Stripes are not impressed.
FWIW, Fish Stripes is very anti-Miguel Andújar. That's not an acceptable centerpiece in a Realmuto trade. He's an AL player. You need the DH spot to maximize his value.— Fish Stripes (@fishstripes) December 11, 2018
- The White Sox want another starter and help behind the plate.
- The Yankees and Mets discussed a blockbuster deal involving righthander Noah Syndergaard and Marlins catcher J.T. Realmuto.
- The Indians might trade righthander Corey Kluber. The Dodgers, Brewers, and Yankees are all interested. Our friends at Let’s Go Tribe like what the Brewers have in stock.
- The Twins are interested in a bunch of dudes, including Nelson Cruz and Wilson Ramos.
- The Angels are interested in a starter after whiffing on Patrick Corbin and Nathan Eovaldi.
- The Reds want to move second baseman Scooter Gennett.
- The Indians might try to dump a bad contract in a trade involving Corey Kluber or Trevor Bauer.
- The Padres are also interested in J.T. Realmuto, but haven’t had any serious discussions yet.
- The Yankees want to rid themselves of Sonny Gray, who has been on the trade block for a couple of months now.
- Adrian Gonzalez wants to play baseball again.
- Justin Masterson has retired from baseball.
- Jayson Stark is a Hall of Famer.
2018 J.G. Taylor Spink Award winner: Jayson Stark.— BBWAA (@officialBBWAA) December 11, 2018
We will continue to update this post throughout the week with news, rumors, and other relevant info. In the meantime, have some fun with this bingo card, courtesy of our friends at Let’s Go Tribe.