Brandon and Ashley return to discuss the Tigers’ opening weekend and the usual goofy conditions of an outdoor game played in late March and early April. With Wednesday’s game against the Royals already postponed, that makes three of the first six games which have had to be re-scheduled. However, we’ve already seen some things. Controversy marred the first game of the season, though it was an exciting one anyway. Gardy already racked up his first ejection, and even now no one knows if MLB got the Castellanos call correct or not. The Tigers and the league seem to disagree. In the meantime, the Tigers’ rotation has done a nice job, but sloppy play, inconsistent bats, and the occasional flameout from the bullpen leave them 1-4 in the early going.
- Opening Day was weird, and the first game was even weirder
- Francisco Liriano, Jordan Zimmermann and the rest of the regular rotation looked pretty good.
- Miguel Cabrera is smoking the baseball and having a good time.
- Outside of Castellanos and Cabrera, this offense has more holes than substance.
- Is JaCoby Jones new again? And should he and Niko Goodrum get more of a shot this spring?
- The bullpen has blown up here or there, but they’ve held their own for the most part. Let’s just hope the real Shane Greene returns with better weather.
- Ohtani and the Angels are fun now and it feels weird.
- The minor league calendar kicks off on Thursday
BYB needs your support. We have rewards outlined for $1, $3, and $5 tiers at our Patreon page here, and we’re continuing to solicit and consider your suggestions and requests. We’re grateful to all those who’ve stepped up to becomes patrons of the site, and to everyone who makes BYB a part of their day. Thanks as always for reading, listening and participating in the best Detroit Tigers community around.
Intro: “You Look Fine”- Pia Fraus