Bless You Boys managing editor Rob Rogacki joins host Brandon Day for some early reactions to the Detroit Tigers’ picks in the 2018 MLB draft. The first 10 rounds are in the books, and beyond is chaos, so it’s time to look at the Tigers’ approach and break down their picks. Early returns seem positive. The Tigers played the percentages with the No. 1 pick, and then made some pretty bold plays (by their standards) in the later rounds. They picked up a nice collection of athletes and guys with loud tools in hopes of a big reward.
- Does the birth of the Tigers analytics department show up in their draft strategy?
- The Tigers selected quite a nice mix of college and high school positional talent.
- Casey Mize freed the Tigers to take some shots in the next few rounds.
- Parker Meadows has the potential to be a power-hitting centerfielder.
- The picks beyond #5 featured some nice collegiate tools and a set of intriguing arms.
BYB needs your support. We have rewards outlined for $1, $3, and $5 tiers at our Patreon page here, and we’re continuing to solicit and consider your suggestions and requests. We’re also trying hard to do so as unobtrusively as possible. We’re grateful to all those who’ve stepped up to becomes patrons of the site, and to everyone who makes BYB a part of their day. Thanks as always for reading, listening and participating in the best Detroit Tigers community around.