Brandon and Ashley welcome in the honey-voiced perspective and insight of one Andy Dirks. The native born Kansan, transplanted Michigander, former Detroit Tigers outfielder, real estate maven, podcast host, and all around life coach talks his current endeavors, Tiger tales, and the mentality of success on the field and in life. There’s also that time that Jim Leyland challenged Jered Weaver to a fiery bout of fisticuffs. Hold onto your butts.
- Dirks retirement and how he applied lessons learned in baseball to his life after retirement.
- Get Your Game Right- How Andy’s podcast aims to teach the mentality of the game through conversations with coaches, scouts and player development personnel.
- The role of confidence in playing consistently good baseball.
- Brandon wonders if plate discipline can be taught (asking for some friends).
- Sometimes Miguel Cabrera just sees things other can’t, and how a normal player makes adjustments instead.
- What’s in a good clubhouse?
- Andy Dirks doesn’t really want to hear players complain about West Coast travel.
- Looking back at a three year major-league career in which the Tigers never missed the playoffs.
- Jim Leyland’s managerial stylings.
Enjoy this laser off of Corey Kluber.
Many thanks to Andy Dirks for a fun and enlightening conversation. You can check out the Get Your Game Right podcast here for insight from Dirks as well as other professionals in coaching and player development. You can follow him on Twitter @AndyDirks12.
Intro: “Motor City 2”- J. Dilla