Well Tigers fans, we should all be in spectator mode tonight. The 2020 MLB draft kicks off with first round selections Wednesday evening. As the Tigers seem a near lock to take Arizona State first baseman Spencer Torkelson, we’re presumably going to share an early high five and settle in with a drink to watch the draft board set up for their second round pick.
Several new mock drafts have landed today. Kiley McDaniel at ESPN, paywall alert, has the Tigers landing J.T. Ginn, the big right-hander out of Mississippi State, with their pick at 38 to lead off the second round. He also them landing Casey Martin, a tooled-up shortstop with contact issues out of Arkansas with their Comp B round selection.
Baseball America also released their Mock Draft 8.0, which only covers Day One selections. The notable part of that mock, is that basically every bat we hoped the Tigers would get a look at is already projected to go before their second round pick at 38. That includes, Austin Wells, Nick Loftin, Daniel Cabrera, and Aaron Sabato.
However, we’ve also heard from essentially every national evaluator we’ve talked to that this draft could hold far more than the usual number of surprises. So don’t take any of these mocks too seriously.
This open thread is the place to discuss the draft all night. And please feel free to ask questions of the Bless You Boys staff. Prospect writers Brandon Day and Jay Markle, along with the rest of the staff, will be popping in and out of the comments section throughout the day. Drop questions in the comments and you’ll get an answer, and probably more than one.
You can find the bonus pools and slot values for picks here at MLB Pipeline.
Draft Day 2
Date: Thursday, June 11, 2020
Time: 5:00 p.m., ET
Where to watch: MLB Network, ESPN, MLB.com (streaming).
The Houston Astros forfeited their first round selection as part of their punishment for using technology to steal signs, so the first round will consist of 29 selections, with eight picks to follow tonight in the Competitive Balance Pick A round.
- Detroit Tigers - 3B Spencer Torkelson
- Baltimore Orioles - OF Heston Kjerstad
- Miami Marlins - RHP Max Meyer
- Kansas City Royals - LHP Asa Lacy
- Toronto Blue Jays - SS Austin Martin
- Seattle Mariners - RHP Emerson Hancock
- Pittsburgh Pirates - SS Nick Gonzales
- San Diego Padres - OF Robert Hassell III
- Colorado Rockies - OF Zac Veen
- Los Angeles Angels - RHP Reid Detmers
- Chicago White Sox - LHP Garrett Crochet
- Cincinnati Reds - OF Austin Hendrick
- San Francisco Giants - C Patrick Bailey
- Texas Rangers - 2B Justin Foscue
- Philadelphia Phillies - RHP Mick Abel
- Chicago Cubs - SS Ed Howard
- Boston Red Sox - SS Nick Yorke
- Arizona Diamondbacks - RHP Bryce Jarvis
- New York Mets - OF Pete Crow-Armstrong
- Milwaukee Brewers - OF Garrett Mitchell
- St. Louis Cardinals - 3B Jordan Walker
- Washington Nationals - RHP Cade Cavalli
- Cleveland Indians - SS Carson Tucker
- Tampa Bay Rays - RHP Nick Bitsko
- Atlanta Braves - LHP Jared Shuster
- Oakland Athletics - C Tyler Soderstrom
- Minnesota Twins - 1B Aaron Sobato
- New York Yankees - C Austin Wells
- Los Angeles Dodgers - RHP Bobby Miller
- Baltimore Orioles (Comp A) - SS Jordan Westburg
- Pittsburgh Pirates - RHP Carmen Mlodzinski
- Kansas City Royals - SS Nick Loftin
- Arizona Diamondbacks - RHP Slade Cecconi
- San Diego Padres - RHP Justin Lange
- Colorado Rockies - C Drew Romo
- Cleveland Indians - RHP Tanner Burns
- Tampa Bay Rays - SS Alika Williams